Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Statistically

Here's a snippet of a conversation I was having with my Dad this morning:

D: Powerball is up to $250 million. If you have an extra $20 you should play.

Me: People who win the lottery are usually unhappy. You want me to be unhappy?

D: Stupid people who win the lottery are unhappy. You'll be fine. Plus...

Me: Plus?

D: Well, you're statistically more likely to get attacked by a shark than win the lottery. But, if you manage to win the lottery, do you realize how statistically unlikely it is that you'd be attacked by a shark, too?

Me: Right, because those things are inversely proportional to one another?

D: You'd be bulletproof.

Me: Sign me up.

Anybody else going to be playing Powerball tonight?

3 comments:

Fern608 said...

He texted me to buy tickets. We NEVER buy lottery tickets! But he texted me THREE times and said he "has a feeling" about this one. :) So, I contributed to the state's "idiot tax" this week.

But, if you DO win the lottery I bet you will NEVER be attacked by a shark!

Mr Blume said...

Unless you bought your tickets in South Carolina, looks like you best be watching your back next time you are in the ocean.

Alicia said...

I think that being attacked by sharks and winning the lotto are independent, thus have no weight upon each other. But, good luck with winning Powerball. Sorry to say, you're still just as likely to be attacked by a shark... Wisconsin is a very unsafe place with respect to sharks, too.