Thursday, March 27, 2008

Recipe: Hot Ham and Cheese

I've made a lot of changes in my life over the last year. As a result of some of these changes (eating better, exercising more) I've managed to lose over 60 lbs. Which is great don't get me wrong but in response to the people who've noticed...
Yes, I've lost weight
No, I'm not sure what to say about it.
I'm not ashamed of it, but at the same time, it's a weird thing to be recognized for. Am I supposed to be proud? Not sure...

Anyway, as a part of losing the weight I've started finding low-cal ways of making my favorite foods. I needed somewhere to unload these things so they exist somewhere else other than just in my own mind. A recipe book, I know, would be idea. In lieu of that, here is my way of making a low-cal hot ham and cheese.
Don't give me bunk people, I'm not Top Chef, I like simple, quick food.

Hot Ham and Cheese

2 slices low-cal bread (Try Village Hearth Italian or 12 Grain) 40 calories per slice (=80 cals)
1 tbsp margerine (Try SmartBalance Light, it's got no trans fats) 45 cals per tbsp, you probably won't need a whole tbsp
2 oz ham (I use Honey Ham) 70 cals
1 - 1 1/2 slices of Reduced-fat Swiss (Try Sargentos) 60-90 cals
(I vary the amount of cheese based on the bread size and use enough to cover one slice)

Spread margarine on one side of both slices of bread. Place one slice, butter side down in a skillet. Add cheese, then ham, then the other slice of bread (butter side up).
Heat until toasted on both sides.

Total cals: 255-285

I usually have this sandwich with a spinach salad and light dressing for lunch. Yum!

1 comment:

Mr Blume said...

Be hella proud that you lost weight. It's not easy, most people don't, and if I have to see Jared on every other commercial with his giant pants, I would it least like to hear about it from someone I actually care about as well.