Monday, July 21, 2008

Demo Derby

The husband and I went to the Green County Fair last night to walk around for a while and go to the Demolition Derby.
The walking around part was kind of boring.
The fair is not big. And by "not big" I mean very small.
We ate some dinner. The husband got the "famous" cheese curds, wherein I discover I'm not really a big fan of fried cheese curds. I've had them before and I basically think they are okay, but really nothing I really want to waste the calories on.
I'd rather have non-fried cheese curds. Or cheese and crackers a la the Glarner Strube Saturday night... those were so YUMMY!
Then we had some really terrible brats for dinner.
I actually was unaware that brats could be really terrible before yesterday, but in fact, they can be. I didn't even finish mine. What a disappointment! They smelled so good...
And we found a place that sold soft serve and had some twist ice cream. That was good stuff!

Then there was the demolition derby! It was all I could have hoped for and more!
It was loud... beaters often do not have the greatest mufflers, who knew? AND I suspect some of those cars were "fixed" to be even louder.
There were 4 rounds of regular derby. Then 1 round of winner take all from the cars of the previous rounds.
I'm a little fuzzy on the rules of the demolition derby, so I wasn't always sure what was going on. That hardly matters at all though!
Crunch! Crash! Ram!
Over and over.
We saw cars get tossed up over walls, over other cars. They stopped the matches about 1/2 a dozen times to check for fire. There were at least 2 major fires that we could see!
It was awesome!
The final match was really fun to watch. It's made up of cars that have all been beaten up previously in the night. One car (053) had 3 other cars (out of a total of 7 other cars) ganging up on him, but he prevailed and won the evening. I'm not really sure why they were all ganging up on him... I wonder if he was just a huge dickhead or something.
Don't really care that much though, it made things entertaining to watch and that's what I care about.

I have a lot more respect for guys who drive those little Bobcats though after watching the demo derby. You should have seen those little things zipping around, hauling off the cars that were too beat up to drive themselves and sealing off the track with these cement chunks. They were so fast! I was impressed. Hmmm.... how hard do you think it would be to learn to drive one?

The demo derby was fun, fun, fun. I will definitely be going to one of those again! :)

4 comments:

Fern608 said...

Awesome - you're getting in touch with your redneck side! My brother drove in demo derbies (yes, MULTIPLE derbies). He even drives a beater race car on a frozen 1/4 mile track on a lake in winter. It's called ICE RACING. You'll have to come to one of his events and ride with him in the car!!

quartergoddess said...

1. I do not have a "redneck side"
2. I don't see the connection between demo derbies and rednecks. It's cars crashing into one another ON PURPOSE. They catch on fire! Who's definition of fun does this not fit?
3. I will come to one of your brother's events, if the event is a demo derby.
4. I don't see how running beaters on the ice is the same as a demo derby. Do they hit each other? I don't want to watch Indy car racing.
The fun for future clarification is in the CRUNCH!

Fern608 said...

1. EVERYONE has a redneck side, just with varying degrees of redneckness.
2. Of course the cars CRUNCH in ice racing! It's racing on ICE. Slipping and sliding and crunching!

quartergoddess said...

My redneck side must be so small that it is rendered miniscule. Also, I repeat, I don't think enjoyment of demo derbies is limited to rednecks. All races, colors and creeds are free to enjoy the beauty of the demo derby as they will... label free.

I just can't see how watching a car slip around on the ice, which you can see pretty much all winter in Wisconsin anyway, is as fun as watching them smash into one another on purpose.

I was kind of disappointed when I was walking home from the demo derby when I watched a truck take a right-hand turn and NOT crash into a nearby parked car.
Wuss.