Monday, July 28, 2008

Fun in the Woods

Well, we're finally back from our adventure in the woods.

We rented a cabin (http://www.maplewoodlodge.com/) for the weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) and went to see a Midsummer Night's Dream at the American Players Theater (http://www.playinthewoods.org/).

The husband and I took off from work on Friday and Monday, so it has been a nice long weekend for us. The cabin is located in Mineral Point, which is surprisingly not that far from Monroe. It's really only about an hour away. A long, curvy nauseating hour away, but still...

Friday morning was busy. While I went to the gym and showered and packed up, the husband took Milo into Madison to be watched by his friend from work and then dropped off the big dogs at the kennel. Then, we headed out to the cabin. We were met at the cabin by the two owners, John and Coleman. Coleman had to leave, so John gave us a tour of the place.

I'll try to post some pics of the place later, but unfortunately I forgot my camera, so all my pictures are on the disposable. The place was gorgeous. What I loved about the cabin was not so much the decor or atmosphere (both of which were adequately cabin-y), but that they put so much thought into all the details of the cabin. Robes, towels, spices, blankets, movies, tetherball, hammocks, sunset benches, campfire logs, etc., the list goes on and on. It was really quite endearing.

mr. and mrs. blume joined us up at the cabin on Friday. We went to get some groceries at a small grocery store in Mineral Point, played some horseshoes and the guys attempted (attempted being the key word) to play some tether ball. It was a long, lazy evening. We snacked on cheese and crackers and chips and salsa. Then later we grilled chicken and made corn on the cob. Everyone else may entertain you with exaggerated stories of the "fireball" which may have emanated from our grill. While I will cop to some singed arm hair, I think "fireball" is a bit of an overstatement. Either way the husband thought the meal was "really, really good"

We played Yahtzee (which I won the first game of with 3 yahtzees, boo-yah! I know this comes as a surprise to those who know me, because I have sort of notoriously bad luck at dice games) and Scene It.

The beds in that cabin were the softest I have ever slept on. Light fluffy mattresses, pillows and comforters abounded.

Snoop and DaisyDukes joined us up at the cabin on Saturday. mr. blume and the husband were golfing, so poor Snoop was stuck shopping with the ladies in Mineral Point on Saturday. I wish I could say that the shopping was really good in Mineral Point, but mostly it was overpriced art. Which is great if you are in the market for overpriced art, but I doubt any of us would afford the stuff they were selling even if we could. If you are looking for some overpriced art, might I suggest the $1400 wooden snake that can be made to order?

Finally, the boys decided to show up from golf. So, we played Bocce ball out in the yard until the husband, or possibly Florence, threw their ball into the weeds and nobody could find the ball for what seemed like a few hours. After we finally finished playing, although it should be mentioned that the girls won in a thrilling down to the last throw of the ball match, we had some ice cream cake.

Before the play, we went to dinner at the Riverview Terrace, which had some of the yuckiest, yet most expensive food/drinks I've ever had. I had a terrible pork salad. Note: I thought it was going to be pork with a salad when I ordered, not what I got. Anyway, after that we trotted over to Culver's for some ice cream since we all had pretty crappy meals, or at least the girls did anyway, I believe Snoop, mr. blume and the husband all liked their food. It is unfortunate that the custard at Culver's was terrible. It was all weird and grainy. Yuck! I have to say on the pass/fail system, Spring Green rates a fail.

Then there was the play. I have to preface all this by saying I love a Midsummer Night's Dream. It has sentimental value for me and I just love it, love it, love it. I was worried when we sat down because the set was a little... industrial. Plus, all the characters were wearing a more modern wardrobe. When I watch a Midsummer Night's Dream I want to be charmed. I want to feel the magic that lives in a midsummer night. My worries were in vain. It was an excellent play with all the magic and charm that this play deserves. Puck was wonderful; he was lively, energetic and full of mischief. Bottom and crew were actually hilarious. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance.

Even driving away from APT turned out to be a good time. What does "FCCAMP" stand for? I won't appall you with our suggestions. And it seems like mr. blume may or may not be able to figure out how a gas pump works. Don't feel bad mr. blume, you can't win them all.


Everyone else left on Sunday morning and the husband and I were left to ourselves. What did we do? Well I'll leave any "naked hammocking" that may or may not have occurred to your imagination. I will tell you that we went to see the Dark Knight that afternoon, which we both enjoyed. The only bad part of the day was that we couldn't find anything open for dinner in Mineral Point, so we just ended up eating sandwiches, which makes for a sort of boring birthday dinner.

This morning we got up early enough and made our way home. First, Milo was returned and then the big dogs. Now, the family is all together again. Yay! I found I actually missed the furry babies this weekend.

Everything will all go back to normal tomorrow... boo, but on the bright side, it's only a four-day weekend! :)

No comments: