Sunday, November 8, 2009

The High Cost of Being Poor

I didn't have anything better to do yesterday, so I went shopping.
Exciting? Maybe if it hadn't been for groceries.

Since I had some time to kill, I did a little comparison shopping.
We've got four places to buy groceries here:
I can shop the Pig, Pick N Save, Brennans or Wal-Mart.

Brennans is top notch, but waaaay too expensive and more of a niche story anyway. Although, I love the free samples!

The Pig is kind of worthless.
They don't even sell beef jerky... wtf?

That leaves Pick N Save and Wal-Mart.
Pick N Save is my normal grocery store, but except for Natures Valley Peanut Butter granola bars, it sells all of my comparison items at a higher price than Wally World (on average $0.34 per item).

However, Wal-Mart doesn't sell the environmentally friendly, non-animal testing cleaning products and paper products that I normally buy. So, I'll have to go to Pick N Save for that stuff anyway.

Even though it may make a little pin-prick in my soul, I think I'm going to have to shop for some of my groceries at Wal-Mart. I just can't justify spending that much more money per item for the exact same thing right now when every dollar counts. Ugh.

No comments: