Monday, June 15, 2009

That Was Unexpected!

Today was my first real yoga class. Sist-A and I went to a Yoga 101 seminar on Saturday where you learn some of the positions, vocabulary and philosophy, but that was nothing like today.

I have to admit, going into it, I thought it would be easy. I thought it would be a lot of stretching and flexibility stuff, but I didn't think it was going to be a challenge. I'm utterly delighted to find it otherwise. It's exactly what I was looking for when I took that failure of a water aerobics class. 

Things that made me pretty happy about this yoga class:
  • To my surprise, I actually broke a sweat
  • At one point, my thighs were only holding me up through sheer force of will
  • Despite how hard it was, I was still able to go running afterwards
  • Turns out that zen hoo-hah stuff actually works. I thought it was kind of crap as she started out with it, but as she talked us through visualizing our stress being released, I felt little pockets of stress in my back give way. Honestly, I didn't even realize they were they until I relaxed.
All in all, I'm calling it a win...



... hopefully, I'm still going to be able to walk tomorrow. 

5 comments:

Shamrock said...

It is amazing! And you shouldn't hurt tomorrow - I still felt so good I went again for several days in a row. I am loving yoga! (you should also try the meditation if you get a chance) :D

Heather said...

I *heart* yoga. It is the perfect fix for sore runners.

mle428 said...

Be careful with some of the positions. What they don't tell oyu in group yoga is that some of the positions can be dangerous if you don't do them right. For example, when doing the plow pose, if you turn your head you can really screw up your neck or cause a stroke.

I don't do the plow...ever...because I already have a bad neck.

I'm super competitive, so doing the "variations" on some of the moves was a blow to my ego.

I do love it as a runner, because it gives me a good stretch. :)

quartergoddess said...

That's funny, I'm trying very hard not to care about the variations because pretty often, at this point, we get to position one and I'm done. That's as far as my legs/back/whatever will bend/straighten/twist.

I'm doing a fairly decent job of convincing myself that its a really good thing, since I can only get better. If I could start out doing the more advanced variations already, what would I have to work for? :)

mle428 said...

Oh, you thought I was talking about advanced positions? No way, honey. lol Some fo the basic positions can be dangerous.

If you have a stroke, don't say I didn't warn ya. haha