Sunday, March 22, 2009

I Hate Bella Swan

I do. I'm sorry. (Not really.)
She is horrible. She is one of the most annoying characters in literature that I have ever come across. Whiny, little martyr. 

When I originally read Twilight, I thought it was alright but not great. New Moon is just boring, except at the very end. Eclipse is a terrible, terrible book. I hate it. At some point, I want to slap all of the main characters. I've heard a lot of complaints about Breaking Dawn, but for me, even if it's kind of ridiculous, it's the most entertaining of the books. 

I really don't understand why people are so in love with these books. Jacob is a brat and a sexual predator. Edward is too-good-to-be-true and a little bit of a prig. Bella's a dumb twat. 
What's the appeal?

I watched the movie this weekend with Sist-A. It was okay, in that I didn't mind watching it and it was entertaining for what it was. Kristen Stewart is a terrible actress though. I don't think she could emote her way out of a paper bag. Or maybe she just doesn't understand the difference between all the other emotions and being mildly constipated?

This whole series makes me feel old. I just want to shake a cane at "kids today" and fondly reminisce about the "old days" when they knew how to construct a narrative and create likable characters.

9 comments:

Heather said...

It is written for middle schoolers. Probably the fact that it leaves you flat speaks to your intelligence.

quartergoddess said...

I don't think that "it's written for middle schoolers" is the problem. I read plenty of books that were written for that age group are just lovely.

Maybe that's the problem. I have read so many books that are well written and aimed at the same group that never get that much attention and this series gets way more attention than it's worth.

It sort of appalls me that any tween girl might look to Bella Swan as a model of how to act.

manricor said...

For a minute there I thought I was reading Heather's blog.

quartergoddess said...

Don't be bitter just because I don't love your homegirl.

Shamrock said...

Bella is ridiculously annoying and I hate Kristen Stewart as well. And I also want to slap every character except Edward. No wait, I did want to slap him in Breaking Dawn. Which, by the way, you originally hated. You asked me why I gave you that piece of craptastic "literature" at all.

However, we differ in that I do not care that Edward is too good to be true. That is why fiction is wonderful - for reading about things we don't get in real life. Just in this case, I have to read about insipid Bella in order to get some Edward.

This may be why I just prefer to look at pictures of Robert Pattinson now...

Shamrock said...

Oh, and Bella isn't a martyr. If you recall, in Breaking Dawn she has to give up absolutely nothing in order to get everything she wants. Which is why I hate that book so much. What kind of message does that send to girls?

Heather said...

O.K. I agree that there ARE well written books for middle schoolers: The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian is fantastic.

Bella and Twilight stink because they are whiny stories about teenage love or destiny b.s. except with vampires. But the vampires suck because they are "good" vampires. Vampires are interesting because they are bad. Teenage luv promoted to LOVE is annoying.

quartergoddess said...

B - You're right, I did originally call Breaking Dawn craptastic. It doesn't fall in line with the rest of the books in theme, tone or content. However, upon reflection, I decided that since I hated Bella so much that it really didn't matter at that point how ridiculous the storyline got.

A 1/2 vampire, 1/2 human child named Reneseme? Sure. Whatever.
Her former best friend who was "in love" with her is now soul mates with her infant? Sure. Whatever.
Bella is able to go near humans as a young vampire? Sure. Whatever.

And I don't call Bella a martyr because she is one, but she thinks she is. Everything is so hard on her. Making decisions is hard. Poor, poor Bella. Blech.

And you already know I am a KS hater as well.

H - It's not just teenage love. It's her whole life. She doesn't want to go to college, because she only cares about Edward and Jacob. Nothing else matters. So, instead of living her own life she gets married and pregnant at 18 and does nothing else. Her entire existence is hinged upon two guys.
Boo.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry the bottom line to this whole thing is that Natalie smells.