Sunday, March 1, 2009

Just Dance

Last night, I went to see the Hubbard Street Dance with my mother. 

Parts of it were really good, entertaining and unique, for example, the last act was a mixture of Israeli folk music, techno and cha-cha that was very good. Parts of it just didn't gel quite right for me. I think the choreography didn't quite suit my taste like I wanted it to. 

I love dancing, in general. I like to dance. I like to watch dancers. As some background, when I was a kid, my mom was involved in an organization called 500, Inc. in Dallas. It's a non-profit organization for the arts. She was on the board of directors in charge of Education. I have spent more nights than you can possibly imagine attending plays, symphonies, musicals, dance performances, etc. 

One of my favorite things in the world is that feeling of anticipation, when the house lights go down, just before the stage curtain goes up. A feeling like anything in the world is possible and you may be witness to the tiniest bit of magic. 

When you see a good performance, it sticks with you. I could tell you, in detail, about some of my favorite performances, even the ones I saw when I was pretty young. 

When you see a good dance performance, in particular, it can be extremely soul-satisfying. In a mixture of awe and rapture, I think, 'Yes, that is what the human body is meant to do. That is the beauty and joy of this form.'

I think I wanted it to be just a little bit crisper, a little bit faster, a little bit more. 


No comments: