Monday, December 22, 2008

Only one more day...

Only one more day of work and then I'm on vacation until the new year. Thank goodness!!

I was going crazy at work all day today. I was barely able to sit still or concentrate on anything. We had a deadline last Thursday and I'm completely uninterested in starting to work on something new. To my credit, I got little to nothing done today. 

I don't know why I'm so excited to be on vacation either. It must be the total euphoria of not having to be at work. I can tell you this, it's not because we have some plans that I'm looking forward to this week. 

Wednesday, we're driving up to stay with the husband's family through Saturday. I like the in-laws for the most part, but here's the thing, visiting them is boring. It's watching paint dry boring. I usually bring four or five books and make it through all of them while I'm there. I think his family must think I'm some sort of crazy bookworm because I'm constantly reading when I'm up there. 

For the most part, there's NOTHING else to do. 

Plus, there is Country Roads.
I hate Country Roads, with a passion. Country Roads is the local diner where the husband's parents live. His parent's LOVE that place. We usually eat up there at least twice when we visit. 

What's so bad about this local diner, you ask?

It's not the food. While nothing to write home about, it's not the worst stuff I've ever had either. 
It's not the atmosphere. CR is clean and well-lit. 

It's the fact that the husband's parents are completely content to sit around CR and gossip with all the locals for HOURS! I'm sorry, but breakfast is not a 3 hour event! 

The last few times we've been up to visit, I've made the husband drive separate so we can leave. I love his parents, but sometimes enough is too much. 

Yet, I'm still completely jazzed to be done with work after tomorrow. Doesn't say a lot for my job at the moment, does it?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yep, sucky

Fern608 said...

Enjoy the time off, even if you're bored on the trip. I can totally relate, as my trips to Dallas aren't all that exciting either. (I always hear the dirty apple story multiple times a visit and watch the birds in the backyard. :)

Tips to erase boredom:

1. Embrace the locals!! You never know how fun it can be to talk about nothing in particular with a bunch of strangers! You could even make a game of it! I do in Waunakee.

2. Try to learn something about their past. It's been fascinating hearing about life on a cotton farm from Gran.

3. Sleep late and go to bed early. It's vacation and you deserve some rest.

Seriously, remember that family is forever and the parents love to see you guys. By visiting you are earning your little stairway to heaven. (Can you say "halo"?) :)