Monday, December 1, 2008

Pleasant Surprise

Plan for the worst, hope for the best is usually my favorite course of action.
So, in preparation for going to the gym tonight I set my expectations low.

I was prepared for it to be overcrowded with the most annoying of the temporary gym goers. Instead of the usual type with a short-lived desire to "get into shape", the post-Thanksgiving gym goers are merely there to do penance and assuage some gluttonous guilt. 

I tried to be good-ish on Thanksgiving, but I didn't really deny myself anything. So, I was prepared to pay the price for my own sins. 

However, I was pleasantly surprised. The gym was at pretty average capacity, and I got to use my favorite treadmill. Yay! PLUS, instead of gaining holiday weight, I lost 0.8 lbs. 

The human body is a fucked up thing. I keep trying to figure it out. I keep trying to make it make sense, but it doesn't. 

I can be good for weeks on end and everything stays the same. I'm moderate to bad for two days and there's a loss?

The Upside/Downside (depending on your point of view) to having a good night at the gym?
I was actually smiling, so three or four people said hello to me. Sigh.
This may have set back my image as an unfriendly badass for years. For years!


2 comments:

mle428 said...

My gym is packed with the holiday guilt right after Christmas and all the way through March! March!! Right now it is blissfully empty...

Alicia said...

I like to weigh myself before and after my morning urination (that's a good 1.0 lbs, if not more), as well as sometimes when I doody. (Heehee, I said "doody.") It's funny how much your weight can fluctuate even within a day!