Friday, February 6, 2009

Baby Girl

Today is my little sister's birthday... happy birthday, sissy.

My relationship with my sister has always been special. We have been to hell and back together. She is my best friend. She is the bane of my existence. Over time, our relationship has expanded and contracted. There have been times, when I thought it would collapse all together, but it never does. The thread that holds us together, the tie that binds, is unbreakable.

We are very different people, but somehow the same. I always say that we are opposite sides of the same coin. We're made of the same stuff, but our outlooks are radically different. In spite of all the difference, I have always loved her. Unconditionally. Not the fake "movies" kind either, the kind the is real, quiet and comes at great sacrifice. I cannot remember a time without her. I cannot imagine my life without her.

For better or worse, she has had a greater impact on my life and who I have become than anyone else I know.

A note for my sister:
You are beauty.
You are light.
I hope someday you are able to see all the good things in yourself that I see in you.
You are one of the funniest people I know. Especially in the quiet times, when it's just you and me and no else is around to question our warped sense of humor.
It is unfortunate, that eventually, we always drive each other crazy. We might fight like cats and dogs occasionally, but I always have your back. I'm looking out for you and would move heaven and earth to make things okay for you. It's what big sisters do.
It's been so exciting to watch you over the last year as you have so much enthusiasm for the direction your life has taken. I'm so proud of you.

I love you.
Happy Birthday, baby girl.

2 comments:

Fern608 said...

Awww

Anonymous said...

Just read your message for the first time now. Thank you for your words. I needed to hear them today more than anything. I am not an eloquent writer like you are so I will keep it simple, I love you. You are my hero, always have been and always will be.