Monday, May 25, 2009

Run Away

Do you ever just want to walk away from your life?

Leave the job, the house, the people, the responsibility, everything. Just leave it behind and start somewhere anew? Then you could go somewhere nobody knows you. Then, nobody will tell you "how you are" or make assumptions based on who you used to be. You just get a clean slate. There would be problems, of course, there are always problems. But, they would be different problems than the ones you have now, and maybe different is enough. 

Reality is that we don't leave because we are tied to the people, places, and responsibilities that we have here. There is enough love to keep us still, if sometimes strangled. 

Today, I want to run away. I won't, but I want to. 
Can you smell it? There is change floating in the air. I'm not sure how to deal with it. 
Maybe I'll dye my hair a different color. You laugh, but it's worked to counteract this need for change before.

I'm not sure what the future holds but today, I'm going to stay put and listen to The Way and dream about where I could go without ever knowing the way.

The Way 
by Fastball

They made up their minds 
And they started packing
They left before the sun came up that day
An exit to eternal summer slacking
But where were they going without ever knowing the way?

They drank up the wine
And they got to talking
They now had more important things to say
And when the car broke down they started walking
Where were they going without ever knowing the way?

--Chorus--
Anyone could see the road that they walked on was paved in gold
And it's always summer, they'll never get cold
They'll never get hungry
They'll never get old and gray
You can see their shadows wandering off somewhere
They won't make it home but they really don't care
They wanted the highway
They're happier there today, today

The children woke up
And they couldn't find 'em
They left before the sun came up that day
They just drove off and left it all behind 'em
But where were they going without ever knowing the way?

--Chorus--
--Chorus--

6 comments:

Alicia said...

You should know that Fastball only leads to Mountain Dew, Ben and Jerry's, and poor decisions...

quartergoddess said...

Like eating the ice cream late at night? It will make you fat if you do that... or so I've heard.

mle428 said...

I have pulled the running away stunt so many times that it has come to be known in my circle of friends as, "Pulling an Emily."

At this point, I am all for responsible change...like leaving Wisconsin. But that's mostly my bias against Wisconsin talking.

Come to California...it's calling you. lol San Francisco is lovely this time of year.

Fern608 said...

I've wanted to run away many times, but never did because of the people in my life. Instead, I changed jobs, friends, etc. The world is your oyster... keep what you like and toss what you don't.

quartergoddess said...

Em - More than you know.

Fern - That sounds good, but it's harder to make it work that way. Jobs are necessary and not so easy to find at the moment. Bills need to be paid. People aren't disposable.

mle428 said...

If you're ever thinking of moving to California, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you get situated. :)