Saturday, May 2, 2009

When I Grow Up...

My mom and I went to a tap dancing performance at the Capitol Theater last night. It was called the Soles of our Feet. A part of the performance was a tribute to Arthur Duncan.

This guy:

You'll understand why they call him the "King of Taps" around the 1:15 mark. 
It wasn't just a tribute to him, he was a part of the show. 
When he first came out, he tapped and sang. 
I leaned over to my mom and said, "I want to be him when I grow up."
He's about a billion years old (really I think he's about 76 according to IMDb), he still doing what he loves and singing and tap dancing. 
That pretty much kicks ass.

THEN! Then, there was the second part. The rest of the (much!) younger cast came out and they tapped together. And not some slow, piddly tap routine. It was insanely fast. And he was right in sync with the young kids. 
Did I mention he's about a billion years old?
He was doing things with his legs at 76 that I'm pretty sure I could not do at my tender age of 28. 

That's when I leaned over to my mom and said, "I think I overshot. I think I'm going to have to settle for being maybe about as half as cool as he is. Possibly one-third." 

It's something to shoot for, at least. 

2 comments:

Shamrock said...

Um yea, you'd better start taking some lessons like now to even be half that cool

quartergoddess said...

1. I do not believe that the only path to awesomeness lies through tap. I may have to find an alternate route.

2. I told my mother that I was going to give the world the gift of world peace through tap (once I get good) and she said that was dumb and I could never do that.

When I don't bring about world peace through tap, now I'll be able to blame it on my mom. And she'll get to say "I told you so"

It's win-win.

Except for the world.
Sorry. No peace for you.