Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Churning Around

Growing up, we had a pool in our backyard.
It's not that uncommon in Texas, but since you asked, Yes, it totally kicked ass. 
My sister and I spent most of our summers soaked in chlorine. We were such water babies. We loved to swim and play around. We had tons of games we would play, underwater tea parties, gymnastics competitions (she cheated, just FYI) and ice cream parlor to name a few. 

Then, we moved up north and BLAMMO, no more water. Oh, I know. There's water here, but I don't really have access to it like we did in Texas. 

So, I was looking forward to trying this water aerobics class I signed up for at the Y. At worst, I figured it would be fun, nostalgic even, for me to spend an hour splashing around. At best, it would totally kick my ass and I'd be sore and barely able to finish, plus all that nostalgic, fun junk. 

As it turns out, water aerobics at the Y equals social hour for middle aged women. Sure, they splash around. Perhaps they aerobicize, I can't really tell what anyone else is doing in the water. But mostly, it's social hour. They all know each other. Apparently, there is also a water aerobics class on Mondays and Wednesdays that they take together. 

Maybe if I was a social butterfly, I would enjoy this and make a whole gaggle of friends. But, it's better to have a more than passing acquaintance with reality, so I think we can all admit, this just isn't going to happen. 

Plus, if they spend the whole time talking, do you think this class has been kicking my ass? Let me answer that for you. No. It isn't. At all. It's ridiculously easy. I've been still doing my regular Tuesday night workout after it because it just too damn easy. 

I may finish out the rest of this class, I did pay $10 whole dollars for it, so I may as well get my money's worth out of it. But, I don't think I'll be back. In addition to the downsides already mentioned, I've seen way too many completely nude middle-aged women today.
It's not pleasant.

It's disappointing because I was really hoping this might be something I could add to shake up the routine a little bit. As it turns out, if you go to the gym and do the same thing over and over (and over and over) again, eventually you get bored. Who knew?

I've been thinking about checking out a yoga studio near where I work for a little lunchtime yoga. And I'd like to drag the husband to visit the climbing gym on the east side. But, I'm not sure what else to do to keep it interesting. 

6 comments:

Mr Blume said...

Do the climbing gym, that sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

A whole class of Cougars, seems like you would just fit right in.

quartergoddess said...

Ouch, Anonymous. You injure me.
I am not a cougar.

mr b - I really want to. But, it's a matter of convincing someone *cough* to go with me.

It's hard to convince Chicken Little to lighten up a little bit and have some fun.

Anonymous said...

Okay I don't know who anonymous is but it wasn't me! By the way CHEAT?!?! I did not cheat. All we did was flips in the pool and we had to watch each other to count the flips. Maybe you can't count?!?!

Anonymous said...

I hate those flippin' cougars - gosh I hope you aren't one, because if you are, that would really suck for that aerobics class. All you need is some old ladies doing flips and hitting on you. F-ing lesbos!

quartergoddess said...

Gosh, is it just me or did it get a little awkward in here?

Anon 2 - Clearly you have no memory of our childhood. There was no flip counting. There was Olympic level judging, at which you cheated. But, if I were a betting woman, if there had been a flipping contest. You would have cheated at that too.

Anon 3 - Um, what?