Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I think my mom could anchor this relay...

My favorite quote from the Olympics so far.
Rowdy Gaines said, "I think my mom could anchor this relay..." talking about the men's 4x200 freestyle relay.
Did you see that shit?
It wasn't as exciting as the men's 4x100 freestyle relay... true, but it was fucking amazing.
They didn't just break the world record. They crushed it.
They smashed it and ground it into little tiny bits of pieces.
It must have been awesome to get drafted for that team.

I imagine it went something like this....
Listen, kid, Michael Phelps is going to give you a phenomenal lead.
All you have to do is not suck.
Got that?
All you have to do is not suck and you can win a gold medal and perhaps break a world record.
Are you in?

That was awe inspiring. By the third swimmer, the Americans would have to gotten a cramp and died in order to lose. They would have had to quit swimming and started doing the doggie paddle.

So, I'll give you that Rowdy Gaines, your mother, my mother, any body's mother could have anchored for a win for the Americans.

1 comment:

Shamrock said...

OH! I totally forgot that one in my list of favorites! And for the record, they probably could have won doing the doggy paddle too - it was just that dominating.