Sunday, October 26, 2008

I Hate Pumpkin Carving

A couple of weeks ago I had the great idea to carve some pumpkins for Halloween.
What a terrible idea!
Carving a pumpkin is hard, boring and messy!

Plus, I am terrible at it. 
See my wonky-eyed cat below. 
The vines are all wrong, I stopped following the pattern on them after a while. I tried to carve poor kitty's whiskers, but they were too delicate and I ended knocking them off.  
I guess I can be satisfied that it (kind of) looks like a cat.
The husband said that he could tell it was a cat once he knew it was supposed to be a cat. 
Who could ask for a better endorsement?


Sist-A isn't a much better carver than I am (although the husband might disagree with me on that, as he seemed to love her pumpkin yesterday). She did pretty well on the spider, but ended up breaking the web since she carved from the outside-in. 
The level listed in our pattern books were from 1 to 4 pumpkins of difficulty. 
We chose 2 pumpkin designs. 
Thank goodness!
I'd probably still be carving if we had chosen any of the harder designs. 


We thought pumpkin carving wouldn't be so bad that we could handle a little more complexity.
We were wrong!
We are not level 2 pumpkin carvers.
Back to the remedial class for us. 
Oh well, I don't actually plan on doing this again. 
I can't believe I've actually done this before and thought this would be fun.

Pumpkin carving does suck, but the whole day wasn't a loss. 
The eating samples at Brennan's and taking home fancy salsa and chips part of the day was fun. (Next time, I'll skip the pumpkin carving and go straight to the chips and salsa part of the day) 
If I ever mention that I'm planning to carve pumpkins in the future, can someone please remind me of this? And if (and only if) I persist, could you possibly slap some sense into me?



3 comments:

Heather said...

I HATE it too! Harder to duck with kids though.

Fern608 said...

It figures that two perfectionists would not enjoy pumpkin carving. If you stuck to triangle eyes and noses, with a simple mouth... it would have been a 30 minute task at most!!! ;) That's also why my kids' pumpkins were boring and smashed by the neighbors. :)

BTW, do you want to help me decorate for our Halloween party on Saturday? I want a few carved pumpkins!!

quartergoddess said...

Hmm... the kid thing could (potentially) be a problem in the future. How hard would it be to convince them that Halloween cookies are more fun than carving a stupid pumpkin? I guess I could force them to carve a pumpkin and then once they figure out it's boring and messy, beg me to never make them do it again, where I will graciously agree.

Seems like a good plan, but my hypothetical children will probably love to do things I hate, like carving pumpkins or watch NASCAR. Jerks.

Fern, I am not carving pumpkins (or giving you the pumpkins we already carved) for a party I'm not invited to.

However, I am generous enough to allow you to print off a picture of the pumpkins we carved and let you display it at your party.

Your welcome.