Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fanciness

My optometrist was very concerned that I have not been disinfecting my contact lenses. I would worry, but I haven't disinfected them for the last 13 years, so this is nothing new. 
He gave me a new system for my contacts, which hopefully won't cause the raging, stinging, aching, I-want-to-rip-the-eyeballs-out-of-my-head pain I have previously experienced with disinfectants. 

This is my new contact lens case. Looks fancy, right?



You pull the middle out and put a lens in the basket on each side. 



Then, you fill the vial with hydrogen peroxide, which will disinfect the lenses. 
My optometrist must think I'm pretty, because he told me no less than 10 times that I am not to put hydrogen peroxide in my eyes. 
Of course, then he mentioned that hydrogen peroxide in the eyes is very painful, which he knows "from experience," so possibly, he's the pretty one. 
I had my contacts out for our appointment, so I couldn't really tell. 



Then you put the lenses in the hydrogen peroxide for at least 6 hours. During the six hours the metal disk at the bottom of the case reacts with the hydrogen peroxide and turns it into sterile water. So, theoretically, I should be able to take them directly out of the case and pop them into my eye. 



Maybe my nerd colors are shining through, because I think that's pretty fucking cool.
Way to go, Science, as long as it works. If not, watch your back. I've got my eye on you. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

Careful flying with that...they think it's a bomb!