Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Shit!/Yay Target

Have you ever had one of those moments where you realize that you almost fucked something up but you managed to save yourself?

I got to work today and realized that some customer meetings that I had inadvertently placed on my calendar for tomorrow, were actually taking place today.

Point #1 in my favor. I realized my mistake.

My work is awesome in that it has a casual dress policy. However, that led me to an additional problem. Since I thought the meetings were tomorrow, I wore jeans to work today. We're supposed to wear business casual to meetings.

Point #1 against me. Wearing jeans to work.

It was 9:30 AM when I realized my mistake. The first meeting was at 11:00 AM. So, since I live 45 minutes away from work, going home to change wasn't an option. However, there is a Super-Target right down the road from my office, so I scooted on down there to see if I could find anything to wear to the meeting.

Luckily I found some pants I like, although they are about 3 inches too long, which precipitated my purchase of safety pins to make them a more appropriate length. Target just doesn't sell petite pants. I considered, for a brief moment, buying a pair of capris which are shorter on regular women and look like my pants just shrunk up a bit on me. But they usually end up being an inch to 1/2 inch too short, so I said nuts to that.

Point #2 for me. I found some pants! Yay!

I had a harder time finding an appropriate shirt. I wore a button up shirt and I'm told we are supposed to tuck those in. I am fundamentally opposed to tucking shirts in... mostly because I look stupid when my shirt is tucked in. So, finally I found a cranberry colored short-sleeved sweater and I ended up getting it. I'm not that thrilled with the sweater I have to tell you. I'm not that thrilled with short-sleeved sweaters in general. (Why? See reason for being fundamentally opposed to the "shirt tuck") It's just okay, but I didn't want to spend all day at Target and I needed to get back to work and changed and over to the customer meeting.

Point #2 against me. A stupid sweater.

I managed to get changed and over to my meeting on time, so no one was the wiser to all the drama that took place beforehand. All in all, with two points for and against me, I'd call the whole thing a wash. And Yay for Target for coming through in a pinch. And a special Yay for Jorge who showed me where the safety pins were, I couldn't have done it without you, man.

No comments: