Thursday, September 25, 2008

Passion

Where has all the passion gone?
Long time passing.

Yesterday, on my way to get my hair salon, I passed a group of senior citizens holding up signs on the corner for Barack Obama.

The signs said stuff like "God Save America, Elect Barack Obama"
They were out there in their orthopedic shoes and old people wrap around shades fighting the good fight.

What happened to my generation? Why are we so lethargic?
It seems like nothing stirs us to action.
No matter how bad it gets, we seem able to turn a blind eye.
No matter what the impetus, we don't want to leave the safety of our couches.

Our parents protested. They had sit-ins. They marched on Washington.
They threw caution to the wind. They put more value on their beliefs than their personal safety.
They were outraged. They had passion.
Or maybe, they didn't.
I wasn't there, maybe history makes it look more widespread than it was.
But it seems as though some of them had passion at least.

I want that.
I want to feel passionate about something.
I want to feel moved to action.

I stopped by the Democratic Headquarters in Monroe today and bought an Obama sign for the yard. I talked to them about volunteering. If they have something for me to do that doesn't involve phone banking, I'm there. They seemed to believe they do.
It's not the complete package.
It's not the passion I'm looking for, but at the very least it's a step in the right direction.
Can you baby step towards passion?

No comments: