Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Psst! The password is "Sexist"

Ah! It's been a couple of hours so, of course, the McCain camp is at it again.

He's calling the SNL skit spoofing Sarah Palin (Tina Fey) and Hillary Clinton (Amy Poehler) "sexist."
Why is it sexist?
Because it shows women in a bad light?
Because it is generally derogatory or dismissive of women?
Because it implies in some way that women are fundamentally less than men?

No, because it makes Hillary Clinton seem substantive and Sarah Palin, by contrast, superficial.
Um, okay?

To quote Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means."

Being a woman doesn't equal political Teflon.
The fact that you have marked any criticism (real, implied or imagined) as "sexism", seems kind of sexist to me McCain.

I am a woman.
I can stand on my own two feet.
I am strong and opinionated.
I know sexism. I have seen it and experienced it.

McCain making a light-hearted skit out to be sexism diminishes it. Makes it seem less than it is.
Easy to do, when you've never had to deal with it.

I started out more astonished and amused, but the more I think about it, the more angry it makes me.
Words have power. The words you use mean something!

The sad thing is that it is really only the beginning. The McCain/Palin camp are going to beat us over the head with that word until it's coming out our eyeballs. Until anything could be sexism and nothing actually is.

Here's the clip, if you'd like to judge for yourself. But, in the end, I'm not sure sexism is in the eye of the beholder.

2 comments:

Mr Blume said...

Not that I wish any ill will on Sarah Palin, but wouldn't it be awesomeif Tina Fey became Sarah Palin, similar to the movie Dave. I would actually vote McCain if that were the case.

quartergoddess said...

Wash your mouth out with soap!
I'm not just voting against McCain. I'm voting for Obama. However, I do think Tina Fey does such a spot on impression that we could secretly slip one out for another and I doubt many people would notice.