Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sarah Palin, Glib and Predictable

I watched Sarah Palin, running mate of Republican John McCain in this election, give her speech at the RNC tonight.

She's quite a glib young lady. A snarky comment at every turn. If it were any other platform, she might be a girl after my own heart. This is how you unite our country? You try to pull people from across the aisle with your glib, snarky comments? It's so juvenile and how does it have a place in rational, adult discourse? It doesn't, unless you are pandering to the lowest common denominator.

She certainly pressed most of the Republican buttons on the podium...
... blah, blah "small government"
... blah, blah evil tax and spend Democrats
... blah, blah victory in Iraq
... blah, blah the real workers in America

Sigh. But, what did she really say?

(I think she seriously tried to convince me that if you are suspected of terrorism that you don't need to be read your rights... or perhaps even that they don't have any rights, who can tell? I guess you are innocent until proven guilty, unless charged with terrorism then you are just guilty by taint of accusation)

She introduced her family.
So what?
She talked about her son going to war.
So what?
(I will conceed she has a very good looking family. Congratulations, but so what?)
She introduced her parents.
So what?
She did a lot of talking about Alaska.
So fucking what?

(This is the point at which the husband got annoyed with me for continuing to ask "So fucking what?" every time she paused. His response, "Why do you keep asking me?")

What do you stand for Sarah Palin?

Palin is a virtual unknown to the political arena. I tuned in to find out more about her. Who is she? What does she stand for?

I didn't find anything out by listening to her speak that I didn't already know. That's disappointing, but not unexpected. No one can really bash what you say, if you don't really say anything of import.

A few random thoughts to wrap up:

We watched on ABC where the camera kept cutting away to Fake-bake Barbie and the Crypt Keeper... no wait, I think they were John McCain's wife and mother.
(I know it's mean, but seriously, they were kind of scaring me)

Also, did you see McCain walk out after her speech. I know everyone jokes about how old he is, but OMG did you see him? He's so OLD!! I wanted to grab a walker and a shawl and make sure he got back to "his chair" for "his programs."

I liked how they showed about 10 shots of her daughter licking her hand to mat down the hair of baby Trig. That was kind of awesome.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Yep I say Willow 2040. No one else from the family thanks.